There is of course a huge range of useful non-prescription medicines available at chemists, but if you run out of a regular prescription medicines you can obtain a supply out of hours without a prescription from a pharmacist or other source so you should never be without – this could be dangerous.
Out of Hours Emergency Contraception
There are a variety of methods available, but it is essential you use it as soon as possible after the event for best results.
You can get the emergency contraceptive pill and the IUD for free from:
- GP – we will always fit you in urgently, please ask at reception.
- Your local Contraceptive clinic (find a clinic)
- A sexual health Clinic (find sexual health services)
- Some genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinics
- Some young people’s clinics (call 0800 567123)
You can also get the emergency contraceptive pill free from:
- Launch of Online Prescription Request Service
- Quick Patient Guide to SystmOnline Access
- Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
- Emergency Prescription
- Over The Counter
- Prescribing Wisely
- Your Home Medicine Cupboard
- Private Prescriptions
- Hospital Outpatient Prescriptions
- Medication Reviews
- Synchronising Medicines
- Medications Abroad